NY Connects


If you have a questions, but don't quite know where to start- NY Connects is the perfect starting point. NY Connects is your trusted place to go for free, unbiased information about long term services and supports in New York State for people of all ages or with any type of disability. 

NY Connects Website 

Common Questions/Situations:

1. I [or someone I care about] needs help with personal care and housekeeping. 

  • People with Medicaid will be directed to Jefferson County DSS Home Management for assistance with hiring and coordinating services: 315-785-3000 ext. 3242
  • Those whose income falls below $1,610 (single) or $2,178 (couple) are eligible for EISEP services
  • Those whose income is above criteria above are still eligible for EISEP services with a cost-share option.

    *Please call the office to complete an EISEP application over the phone or complete the EISEP Application here and stop in/mail to the office.

2. How can I hire homecare on my own?

Licensed Home Health Care Agencies:

  • Caregivers Inc: 315-788-3269
  • U.S. Care Systems: 315-376-6070
  • Seniors Helping Seniors: 315-405-4950

You can hire homecare services without going through a licensed agency, however you must be cautious of the risks involved.

Care.com has a great article that explains the pros and cons: Hiring a caregiver: Should you work with an agency or find your own?

3. I believe my loved one is in a unsafe situation.

If you feel there is immediate danger PLEASE CALL 911.

  • Adult Protective Services: 315-785-8222. 
  • 24 Hour Crisis Response: 315-782-2327

4. My home is in need of repairs or I need help with heavy chores. 

The Office For the Aging has a home modification & chore program for qualified residents of Jefferson County. The program is available to seniors 60 or older that are eligible to receive HEAP benefits. Please complete the Home Modification & Chore Program Application and submit it to our office via mail or fax and a case worker will contact you, or you can call the office at 315-785-3191. 

5. I am being kicked out of my home/ I have no where to live.

Watertown Housing Authority: 315-782-1251

Fair Housing Office at CAPC: 315-782-4900

Jefferson County Department Of Social Services: 315-785-3000

Adult Protective Services: 315-785-3210

Catholic Charities: 315-788-4330

6. I have lost my Social Security Card. How can I get a replacement?

Replacement Card Requests

You may be able to request a replacement Social Security card online with your personal my Social Security account, which is easy to set up if you do not already have one. Or, you can ask us for a replacement card by completing and mailing the Social Security card application with your original proof of identity, and proof of age and citizenship if we have not previously confirmed this information, to your local office. We will return your proof(s) to you. To find out what documents we need to issue a replacement Social Security Number card, please read our fact sheet U.S. Citizen/Adult — Replacement Social Security Card. To update the date of birth in our records, applicants must also submit an original or certified copy of a birth certificate showing the correct date of birth. To update the name in our records, applicants must also submit a recent document that identifies them in both their old and new names. For additional information, please read the instructions on the Social Security card application.

Because we are experiencing slight delays processing mail-in SSN card applications, it may take us between two and four weeks to process the application and return the evidence.

There are certain situations where we may be able to make an in-office appointment to update or correct your SSN information.

7. How can I get financial assistancce for high speed internet?

SENIOR PLANET NEWS  Five Things to Know about the Affordable Connectivity Program

By Amanda Gimble  Wednesday, June 29, 2022

In June, the White House announced a package of initiatives to make connectivity more accessible to more people. Chief among them is the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP),  which provides eligible households $30 per month off their internet bills. Some 20 leading internet providers will  offer ACP-eligible households a high-speed internet plan for no more than $30 per month. Details about the ACP can be found here.

Here are five things you should know about this new initiative:  

1. ACP could help you pay for high-speed Internet, a necessity in today’s digital world.

You may have already thought about getting high-speed internet at-home but are worried about the extra bill. Or you may have found that your internet speed can’t keep up when you video chat with family or friends. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, connectivity has gone from being a luxury to a necessity. Getting high-speed internet can enable you to access essential health and emergency services and better participate in basic life activities from shopping and communicating with loved ones, to managing your health and finances. Once connected you can even learn new technology skills and meet new people with OATS’ virtual programming by going to http://www.seniorplanet.org 

 2. Your Internet service may end up being completely free.

The Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP), a government benefit program for eligible households, provides a benefit of up to $30/month toward internet service for eligible households, and up to $75/ month for households on Tribal lands. Many participating internet providers offer high-speed internet for $30/ month, so you could get your internet service for free!  

3. There are several ways you can qualify for ACP.

If your income is 200% or below the Federal Poverty Guidelines, if you participate in certain other government programs, or if you participate in an internet service provider’s low-income plan, you are likely eligibleThe exact income limit varies based on where you live and the number of people in your household.

You also are eligible if you participate in certain government assistance programs such as SNAP, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income, the Federal Public Housing Assistance program, the Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit, and others. If you already receive a Lifeline benefit, you automatically qualify for ACP, and you can receive both benefits at the same time.  

4. It only takes several minutes to apply and there are resources to help you.

You can find a step-by-step guide to applying for ACP in English and Spanish at Senior Planet’s Aging Connected website. There are more details here. You can also go to the government’s website to submit an application or print out a mail-in application. If you already have an internet service provider, they can help you apply.

If you don’t have online access, you can call our tech hotline at (877) 745-1930.

5. It’s easy to find participating Internet service providers near you.

Many internet service providers have offerings for $30/month which means that eligible households will get internet for free. You can find a participating provider near you by going to www.agingconnected.org/acp. Also, once you apply and are approved for ACP, you will receive a list of participating providers near you.

Questions? Call our tech hotline at (877)-745-1930.